Saturday, January 08, 2005

If it looks like a Christian. . .

I once worked on a roofing crew one summer and within two days of starting our first job the crew was decided about one thing. The Christian kid had to go. It was unanimous amongst us. The kid had to go. It wasn't that he couldn't do the work, or that he had sloppy work habits. No, it was clearly his need to proselytize us and anyone else who happened by that sealed his doom.

Another time, I was auditing a psychology of sports class at SD State and we were having a guest lecturer. No less than 15 seconds after he had begun his pitch, God and his place in our sport's lives, at least ten class members, myself included, spontaneously got up and left the room.

Sometimes you just have to say by act or word, I don't want to hear the sermon. Which is why my stomach turned and my gut reaction was to turn off the tv. Boston Legal, sunday night, the subject of one case: creationism to be taught in a science class. And by dint of the we're all Christians here, the founding fathers intended us to be one nation under god, sort of reasoning that passes for liberals trying to eat their cake and be elected too, the goddam case was decided in favor of the defendant, a god-fearing superintedant that just wanted to have all sides fairly represented. Ha! See www.angryoldman.us for more on this.

6 comments:

CatWoman said...

Yea Christians are programmed to proselytize. They don't know when to shut up though. I don't mind hearing people make refrences to religion or scripts in the Bible, but when they start the sermons and preaching and proselytising........UGH, it's just too much to bear. Some are just Jesus geeks who don't have know work etiquette. They deserved to be sacked, maybe next time they'll get it.

rhbee said...

It ain't fair. Your sense of humor may be a little too subtle for me. I really am worried about this current world's need to divide us up into warring religious sects. I much prefer the approach that I found on a blog called Krismukkah.

Andrew Purvis said...

I cannot disagree with the need to get someone off of a work crew in the behavior is harming the work and the person in charge has asked for a change in behavior. Still, there is an issue here that troubles me.

My students, at least the ones who would not have lasted on that roofing crew, probably assume I am a raving atheist or something. How can I ever justify, after all, refusing the Bible as the sole validation for a point? Oh well. Sometimes I tell them that I used to teach Sunday School and lead Youth Group. That usually makes them think. I just want to know what happened to the gay guy on the roofing crew. Maybe the Jew? How about the (fill in any group here)?

I have no problem with avoiding sermons. I don't give them. If I had been on that crew, the guy would probably have pissed me off. My view is this: Wanna thump a Bible? Go away from me. Check one some time. I think you would like the passage in which Jesus tells people to pray in their closets rather than doing it as a public spectacle.

rhbee said...

I think that may play a part in my reaction to this preaching symdrome. I have read the bible, it didn't inspire me. I grew up in an open-minded but Christian family. We were allowed to think and choose and go our own way. I did. But when the others in my sports psych class got up and walked out with me, it was a spontaneous reaction. We did not consult, we just did. So when Bush and his ultra-Christian conservative push the bible button they should probably be aware that

rhbee said...

what goes around comes around.

L said...

http://evolutionblog.blogspot.com/ is one of my favorite blogs to read-- the author does a very good job at dissecting the "debate"